Monday, March 17, 2008

pumpkins and poo


For some unknown reason. No, it is known, a reason of me being irrational about some things. I was thinking that the potential new garden area in front of/beside the garage, pictured above, would need to be turned into garden PROPERLY. You know, lots of digging, or a no dig raised bed lined with a mattress thickness worth of newspaper. The idea of buying in trailers of soil doesn't count, cos we don't spend that kind of money.


And then I was reading on the lifestyle block site about a person who grew their pumpkins on the area where they dumped their horse poo. Really, I don't have to wait. I have a compost pile of horse poo and something else I can't remember, rotten hay from Raelene I think. It can go straight on the front-of-garage site which is currently not even producing much in the way of weeds so in need of poo in a big way. I'll do a few more runs south and hopefully strike lots and lots of horse poo for sale on the side of the road. And just dump it down to rot. What is there to lose? This is the spot which is going to be my yellow garden one day.

2 comments:

Nik said...

My best pumpkins grew where the chicken poo had been. The ones up in the front garden withered with thin spindly stems. The chicken ones were thick stems about 3cm diameter.

Sandra said...

Interesting Nikki. Dad and I were talking pumpkins on the phone this morning and he says lots of water and lots of manure. I'd really like to find a free range pig farmer - that would be good manure. Still working on that.