Saturday, March 15, 2008

From Nelson



Neslon is where I grew up. Or got older from 3 -17; I still had a pile of growing up to do after that. And still.


For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, Nelson is a very beautiful seaside town at the top of the South Island. Life was good, although I was teenager for much of that so of course I thought my life was going to be so much better when I got to the big city. Y'know.


Over the last few days I found two web sites with links to Nelson which I thought I'd share. Tiny Happy is a beautiful blog written by a woman who last year had a stall at the Nelson Market selling beautiful sewing which partly used thrift shop beautiful fabric. I met her briefly when we holidayed there last winter. Before my children ran away and scuppered all chances of a conversation. I hadn't looked at her blog for a long time until this week and I've discovered they've moved to Norway. I think her posts and photos are both poignant and beautiful.


On Friday Brighid and I were in town avoiding the dirty floors and piles of dishes and washing at our house. As I'm nearly finished the jacket I'm knitting her (it has lots of green in it so after blogging I hope to finish it tonight and she can wear that on Monday as well), I thought I was just about allowed to look in the wool shop, though not buy just yet.


I stumbled upon wool and patterns by the Rare Yarns Company. This linked website is of their store in McShandes Road, Richmond, a road I cycled down many a time as a teenager. I thought their patterns and wool were very beautiful and I was interested to see the range of dye free colours they had created from Alpacas. This photo below which I found online, though small, shows a range of fleece colours.

No comments: