Monday, March 10, 2008

green things (and brown)


Green things activity #1. Decided to plant broad beans along the length of the back fence. Yes I know it was going to be lupins yesterday and probably something else the day before. But the sun was shining, I had broad beans in my seed box already, and I had a bag of garden mix to help me plant. So into the layers of wood chip and lawn clippings, I made thirty small holes, put a handful of dirt into each one, then a bean, then a big handful of dirt on top. Only time will tell if this is a great idea. My finished work is in the photo above. We plan for the fence to be smothered in flowers and vegetables next Summer.


Brown things activity. Collected four bags of chook house lining (bark and chicken poo mixed together) from Rayleen. Superb compost material. Saw lots of horse poo for sale on the way home but you can only fit so much poo into the car at once.
Green things activity #2. Made a St Patrick's Day dress for my daughter. It's rough but it's a dress and I made it. She owned a kind of romper (I think that is the correct term) outfit and I cut the material off just below the bodice and sewed some shamrock material on. Didn't need to hem it because it was all done for me. Why? Because the shamrock material used to be a small round tablecloth and I kept the hem from the original. So that will be thrift shop item plus home sewing plus refashioning an existing item of clothing. Do I feel clever? Oh yes yes yes.
Here is the spot for our scarecrow. The rich brown earth colour to the left is where Fionn and I sowed Beneficial Insect Blend yesterday. To the front is pea straw mulch resting atop earth which has Bokashi buried in it. This garden is getting a lot more sun than when we moved in and is also less squelchy underfoot. I'm thinking (as of today) of planting some veges in the pea straw. There are a lot of slugs in this patch (it's the one I ususally refer to as my invasive garden patch, so probably silverbeet (swiss chard) as they don't seem to like it and maybe some kale. The scarecrow will go where the strawberry cage netting, the paddling pool and the pile of weeds currently sits.

No comments: