Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Your local garden nursery

There is a thread currently on the lifestyle block forum encouraging us all to support our local nurseries. I agree wholeheartedly and thought I'd plug the idea here also. The staff at our local nursery are knowledgeable and helpful. I bought all my potting and seed raising mix (haven't go as far as making my own yet) from them while pregnant as they always always carried it out to the car for me. Although I'm not a huge spender on plants and do get my seeds by mail order (the Yates range doesn't impress me), I do buy spring bulbs, the aforementioned mixes, occasional punnets of vege and flower seedlings from them. I also get herbs from them sometimes, ones which aren't propogatable by seed (like comfrey) or which I only need one of rather than a seed packet's worth.

The owner of our nursery was a key player in saving our magnolia and is often seen riding his bicycle around town. Ozone friendly guy and both knowledgeable and helpful to boot. I've been chatting with him and his staff about a range of winter foods and will be buying shallot bulbs and asparagus corms from him in a few months' time. In return, I've been sharing recipe ideas for kale.

1 comment:

Sharonnz said...

Sadly, our 40 year old, within walking distance, nursery just closed last week:-(