Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Productive poo

After last night's decision, this morning I took two barrow loads of beautiful compost out of the horse poo compost heap (would be about six months old) and layered it thickly in one corner of the yellow garden site. Not that it is a yellow garden at all at the moment, but I did decide early in February that yellow is it's destiny. It is a small patch, about 0.5 metre by one metre, in between the large tree and the flax to the right of the photo in yesterday's post. I then filled it up with flower bulbs lifted from previous years.

Not content with that, Brighid and I drove south for ten minutes and bought up every bag of horse poo we found for sale on the roadside. Just seven chock-filled supermarket bags today. Then when we got back I spread one bale of peastraw across the ground, fairly thickly, to make a wide path shape towards the Spring bulbs patch. The I tipped four bags of horse poo on top and spread it across the straw. After that, I layered the second bale of peastraw over the top. That should rot down nicely over winter.

I tipped the rest of the horse poo into my horse poo compost site and then added the remains of another bale of peastraw on top. Still hankering to go beachcombing for kelp further north (the beach very close to us doesn't yield much seaweed). You can never have too much food for the garden. I've also noticed that whoever mows the local rugby fields dumps the grass against the bank where it is rotting away nicely. I need to take the car, the garden fork and a few large sacks down there also.

2 comments:

Nova said...

ooo very jealous! you would *not* believe how little horse poo there is to be found on the roadside in new lynn! *sigh* ;p

Sandra said...

what about when you drive to collect your wee boy? I made even more new garden today but have a sore gummed baby in my arms so no proper blog post tonight. How is the bokashi going?