Sunday, November 23, 2008

A rethink on the watercress front

We cleaned the house yesterday. If you want more exciting details of this too rare event, then look no further.

Today I made something swanky. I punched some holes in the bottom of a used olive tin, just like the one in the picture (except empty so topless), and sowed basil in it. Why do I think this qualifies as swanky? Because in wannabe Italian restaurants but not, I suspect, in Italy, they are forever displaying large tins of olives and tomatoes. I did actually like the kiwi touch of a pizza place in Wakefield (Nelson, NZ) which added tins of peaches to the display.
So I thought as basil and olives go well together and as I increasingly choose to sow my basil direct into small pots and harvest from them, that it might even qualify as stylish to have basil growing in olive tins on my kitchen windowsill. Especially as I even cleaned the windowsill yesterday.
I've been inspecting the old chook run garden this afternoon as it has stopped raining for the first time all weekend. I have changed my mind about throwing lots of watercress to the chooks. Mine didn't eat the stems and the stems (of which there a large number) have all sprouted many new plants along the length of each stem. Other plants in the same plot are growing well.
None of my tomatoes look especially healthy. I don't know why.
I let the mulch on the strawberry and garlic bed get a bit thin and have been rewarded with weeds.

3 comments:

Marino said...

u could try eatting the watercress, boiling it up in a big pot with spuds and doughbouys and your choice of meat (i'm a vegetarian but haven't always been and my Mum usually cooks it with bacon bones or neck chops) Cheapest meal ever!!

Or my personal favourite growing up at Waimarama will a creek full of the stuff in our backyard was to and put it raw into a slice of buttered white bread, add salt, fold in half and ENJOY!! Scrumptuous!!

Gill said...

Hi Sandra I got your message about the wool. I can certainly experiment with some red toned homespun. I'll let you know via blog, what I come up with.

Anonymous said...

Oh those tins are super no matter what you put in them. I have one for paintbrushes. I don't care if that's swanky; they're stylier and more practical than a 'kitch' Campbell's soup poster.