Sunday, November 16, 2008

community food

This afternoon we went to friends for the birthday of their five year old daughter. We yacked while the children ate lots of pink food and ran round. Most unexpectedly, we came home with a crayfish (caught further south, but still local), which Favourite Handyman is cooking as I type.

When we arrived home, I found five tomato seedlings on my doorstep. These are from my neighbour Margaret. I lent a closer neighbour my Kings Seed catalogue after we talked about heirloom tomatoes one day. She lent the catalogue to Margaret which is how we came to talk about gardening together one day on the way home from the school run.

So now I have some new heirloom tomatoes to try. I know another person in my area a little, all due to the connections made through food growing.

No comments: