Saturday, November 15, 2008

The bits in between

Usually I work three half days per week.

This week is not a usual week. It is the most frantic and pressured week in my year workwise. The drama is not quite over yet.

Here are the things I have been doing when I'm not at work. I like to remind myself of them.

1. Bread. I tried doubling the no knead recipe - used 4 C plain flour, 1 C high grade bread flour, 1 C kibbled rye. I neglected it time and again. Left it to rise for about 48 hours, then the 15 minute rise took nearly two hours and then I put it in the teatowel and life really got in the way and it didn't get cooked for another six hours. I've only had one piece and that tasted good.

2. Chooks. I cleaned the poo out of the coop. The poo in one corner of the coop goes mouldy quite quickly and looks like mouse carcass and this is most, most yucky. But I had a tool, a garden fork, so I could deal with it without direct hand to icky object contact.

3. Swimming lesson. Not mine. Fancy that though, I'm being a proper mother and taking my son to swimming lessons.

4. Pub. We all need a treat after swimming lessons. Actually I've been twice this week. Thursday night as well. Treat for sitting through evening work function and behaving myself.

5. Garden. We've been eating more silverbeet and rocket this week. I dug a hole to plant another tomato this afternoon but then I realised I needed to go back to work. Earlier on I slipped in some silverbeet and lettuces. I see that watercress has taken root in the old chook patch. The chooks didn't eat the stalks and it has proven itself willing and able to make a new home and prosper.

6. Knitting. It's what I do while reading blogs in the middle of the night. I used to be good at sleeping. I guess that skill just slunk away in a corner while I wasn't looking.

No comments: