Friday, October 10, 2008

Thank goodness for wine

I did more tidying today. That is three, maybve even four days in a row. We certainly didn't have 'proper' food for dinner. I can't be folding so much washing, interspersed with washing and drying and carting up even more new washing to be folded, AND cooking like Nigella. Cos' of course I cook like Nigella the rest of the time y'know...

So you can now see some of the couch and has the world changed? No. Not a bit. But anyway, maybe the visitors will want to sit on the couch and maybe they will be able to. We are having our third lot of visitors in a month tomorrow. The first visitors lucked out a bit - we had three hours warning of when they were coming and Favourite Handyman was working long hours at the time. The second visitor arrived at the same time as we returned from our short holiday in Marlborough. Given that Favourite Handyman was home and it was school holidays, she lucked in very slightly and didn't have to make her own bed up. But tomorrow's visitors, well they will have the opportunity to walk from the bathroom to the study without completing an obstacle course. They will be able to eat in the dining room without any detritus on the table or even any boxes around the edges of the room spilling over and out at unpredictable moments. They will even have a new continental blanket on their bed. Does five star entertainment get better than this? Well obviously it does, but no flash hotel also provides access to the beloved niece and nephew like our place does. I've mentioned the possible couch sitting opportunities several times already...

I had to buy wine this evening to keep myself going.

The school spud project is coming together nicely. We'll be dishing them out this coming Wednesday morning. At the weigh in competition at the end of term, children will be able to take their potatoes home to eat with their families or to donate them through the school to the Christmas charity food bank. I'm delighted. So far anyway. I've also managed to procure a Bokashi bucket for the school.

Being Friday, it was poultry palace day. I tipped half a wheelbarrow's worth of river sand into one end of the chook run so they could all enjoy a decent dust bath. I changed water (which I do most days) and I changed the straw down the pooey end of the night coop. I notice that the chooks left the chickpeas out of the last lot of leftovers I fed them. Probably too big to get in their mouths. They've had hummous leftovers before and eaten that.

I am loving all the comments lately. Now I need to get my head back in nappy country and teach the world to contain poo and wee on a tiny budget. Without going down the let it all out wherever whenever route. I do have boundaries you know.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Your house sounds just like mine. Only tidier now. Obviously. Funny how I can spend a whole day tidying and it all looks much the same ... enough to make you think it's not worth the bother ;)

Hope you enjoy your guests
Joanna

sweetp said...

Delurking to say your school project sounds great! What a fabulous idea. And go you on the tidying, I usally plan to in the holidays but this time we changed furniture round for DD and thats been about it. Have done a lot of gardening though!

Sandra said...

Thanks SweetP. The potatoes and soil are up at the school now and every child will take home their own potato on Thursday. The garden is sort of 'in'. It's round the back of the school where it doesn't get much light and it has a huge tree stump in it (i.e. inside the raised bed walls) and no soil as yet. So not huge status but it is there, and we'll all have some fun along the way. I hope.

Joanna, welcome to the housework disbelievers club. We had to do something - we've been in the house two years and aren't moving anywhere. Usually moving (or having a baby which also isn't going to happen again) prompts some kind of sustained action.