Friday, October 3, 2008

Rain of the Children


Another film festival night out. What bliss. This time a fascinating documentary going into Tuhoe country in the middle of the North Island, tracing an old woman back to her time as wife of the son of the prophet Rua Kenana, through the deaths or confiscations of all but one of her 14 children. So much to think about. The idea of a curse which plagues her dates back to the time when European diseases were decimating Maori society and Maori had no explanation for the deaths. When patterns were observed in families, a source for a curse was looked for. Puhi, once one of the chosen to repopulate Tuhoe from Maungapohatu, led a fascinating and tragic life. It felt like a privilege that so many people connected to Puhi and her son Nikki were prepared to be filmed talking about some very difficult times.
During the day we were all home (Favourite Handyman and I are fortunate that we don't have to work much in the school holidays) and decided to have big clearout. Favourite Handyman and the children made a bonfire and burnt the ridiculous number of cardboard boxes and other cardboard paraphernalia around the house and sheds. I cleaned out my potting shed. We've agreed that the handyperson tools can migrate to the big shed and the potting shed can be for gardening things and chook food only. I have to say, the potting shed now looks fantastic. I could even use the bench for potting up plants now. The larger shed has a decent window which the potting shed does not, so until late October/early November, chitting potatoes and pots of pumpkins, zucchinis and tomatoes will still be in residence with the circular saw and the pliers.
Fionn and I got into full on retro-kiwi-cooking mode late this afternoon and made sausage rolls (bought pastry though) and also apricot slice using girl guide biscuits.
I went down to the library and found Linda Woodrow's book back on the shelves. It was like Christmas! I also grabbed a Kate Adie book on foundling children and a book on going gray and authenticity. I've decided to leave behind carcinogenic blonde tresses myself and this looked an interesting read.

1 comment:

missjoestar said...

Isn't the meeting house on Rua Kenana's community AMAZING! No nails in that whole round structure if I remember rightly. I am loving your blog. X