Friday, October 24, 2008

In memory

A terrible thing happened in our small town less than two days ago. A young man of 16 was killed while he was walking along a road, training for the Coast to Coast. Favourite Handyman knew him well. We haven't been home much lately because we've been spending time with others who are missing their friend, son, brother, badly. It runs through my mind often what it must be like as a mother to answer the door to news that your son is dead. I look at my children in wonder at the gift of their lives. The funeral is Saturday. Sometime this weekend we will also plant something in our garden in honour of this young man.

Today is the anniversary of the death of my cousin Lou. Lou's wife Mary is my Dad's cousin and they are a treasured part of our West Coast life. Lou was 88 when he died last year, a prisoner of war in World War Two and a very special man. Today Brighid and I will take lunch round to Mary's and share with her and then we will visit Lou's grave, taking flowers from our garden and also flowers from Mary's garden. I wasn't successful with the plantings of Flanders poppies which I tried to grow in honour of Lou last year. I do remember his advice about planting tomatoes - some of the last advice he gave me - as I potter round the garden in Spring.

3 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Tragic.

Remembering Lou with you...I've always loved your descriptions of his impact upon you & your family.

Johanna Knox said...

Sandra, I'm really sorry to hear of the tragedy in your community. Unbearably sad.

Joanna said...

SO sad - and, as you say, every mother's dread. There's a lot to be said for living in the moment.

Hugs
Joanna