Wednesday, October 1, 2008

planting

Today dawned partially rain free. Thunder and lightning free so perfect for getting outside. While Favourite Handyman wired up a rain and shade cover for the next third of the poultry palace chook run, I sowed carrots. Touchon and White Belgian. I also transplanted perennial onions in between. They were the ones I had ignored in the seedling tray after transplanting most into a biggish planter box about a month ago. I used egg shells around the carrot rows in an attempt to ward off my number one two and three foe, slugs.

I transplanted three lettuces (more eggshell) and eight borage plants. I sowed sorrel and beetroot direct.

We tried out shelling the chestnuts today. Turns out they are all mouldy. So they're on the compost heap now and I'll endeavour to get some from my rellies next Autumn.

My sister is staying with us. She tells a great story. She tells a great children's story as well and is being exploited shamelessly to babysit while I be a screen zombie right now. She is also vegan and so tonight I pulled out the curry ingredient jars and the coconut cream and made pumpkin curry. Worked well and I'm planning on more vege curries in the near future.

The local film festival starts tomorrow. I need to chase up our babysitter so we can catch ourselves some big screen kulcha.

No comments: