Thursday, October 9, 2008

Newcastle Peoples Choir

a movement that sings never dies

I went to see the Newcastle Peoples Choir sing this evening. They are a union choir from Newcastle, NSW, Australia and they were fantastic. I loved their singing, the words of their songs and I especially loved how at interval they all came out and chatted with the audience. With everyone in the audience. I took my cousin Mary with me and they brought her a cup of tea before I had even worked out where the tea trolley was.

I also got to introduce Mary to another local friend whose uncle taught Mary (now 82) when she was at primary school. My friend has a late model video camera and is keen to talk to Mary more. So that should help me get going on recording Mary's wonderful stories.

We did more cleaning today. I was grumpy again. Tonight's concert lifted my spirits enormously though.

I have a lot of questions about the current global finance thing. If the governments are bailing out these huge and hugely troubled financial institutions, then where are the governments getting that money from? I'm thinking there must be more borrowing going on at some point, this time by the governments? what about when government coffers run dry? The governments bailout thing seems to be being held up as the panacea. I can't see how it is that simple.

I did manage a little gardening. The best thing about hanging washing out is I leave the house via the back door to hang out washing and that all looks virtuous and necessary and sometimes nobody bothers to come out with me. Once I'm out, I get the washing on the line double quick and then skive off gardening as long as I can get away with. Sometimes this is minutes, occasionally it is hours. Today I planted two new strawberry plants in the new garden patch with the silver beet and borage. I kept reading how strawberries love borage so thought I'd better give them a chance to be companions. This bed is now quite closely planted and I'm finally starting to get that gorgeous sea of foliage look that permaculture books often have on their front covers and which until now I've not even come close to achieving in my own garden.

2 comments:

Mary said...

On the financial stuff - if the government puts up money, ultimately it is taxpayers' money. The question for the government is what is the greater loss - doing nothing and risk economic collapse or bail out (and risk higher taxes and/or less spending in the future).

Sandra said...

Helloooo Mary!! Testing times. Testing just to understand the economics. Something about growing my own protein (the chook eggs) makes me feel like I am doing something useful outside of financial system madness.