Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Hollow Men

Tonight's film festival outing was The Hollow Men. Based on the book by Nicky Hagar, it follows the national party election campaign in 2005. It is a meticulously researched piece of history. It didn't really give me any insights beyond the fact (which surely I could have guessed) that the campaign was based on about turns, fakery and deception. Afterwards we got to meet the director, Alister Barry over drinks at a friend's house. A pleasant evening, but without the artistic power and evocativeness of Children of the Rain or Apron Strings which I saw earlier this week.

True to my project to read a lot more, I spent part of this afternoon reading about an American woman's journey to discover the significance and meaning of dyed or naturally grey hair for herself and what it meant for women and men more generally. I'm growing the dye out of my own hair for several reasons. 1. Sheer laziness about either dyeing it myself or (extravagant horrors) getting organised to get it done at a salon. 2. Issues relating to carcinogens in hair dye products. 3. A sense that I want to let the grey come in naturally. And the brown for that matter. It has been a loooong time since I've been naturally blonde, and I want to accept the natural colour. I also appear to be growing it long. Refer mostly to reason (1) above by way of explanation.

I've been learning a lot about myself recently, having to face my own naivety and recognise the need for some changes in how I live my life. I'll still be blogging, but I'm now reducing my online time even more. When I stopped any access during the day, I got so much more done and was finding it a good choice. I still wasn't doing more housework, although I was doing more cooking and I was enjoying and being available for my children more. I've realised that what is missing in my life is not a cleaner and tidier house. What is missing is reading books. Not just gardening, but fiction and other extended texts. I need brain food and soul food and I've made the mistake for some time now of thinking the internet is providing enough. But surfing the net for the latest bug I found in the garden or half remembered idea is not soul and brain food. From now, I plan to stop day use and to only go online each evening to check emails and write my blog/read blogs once I've done some proper book reading.

It is raining again. again again again again again again again again again again

You couldn't hear me scream about the rain because of the sound of the rain. Relentless. There are pools of water everywhere. The ground is just saturated.

1 comment:

Sharonnz said...

Snap on the hair dye. I have about 2 inches of blonde left at the bottom now and am feeling quite liberated about it. My Mum went gracefully grey in her mid-30s so I'm not sure what I was so fearful about. Hmmmm...do you think if I copied your online discipline I'd start to get through that pile of books?