Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Roses and parsley

I've been making grand plans in my head for draping roses all over fences around our section. This afternoon I decided that the best way to get going on these plans is to have a go at growing my own roses from cuttings. I found these instructions online and decided to take some cuttings from my next door neighbour's prolific rambling pink rose. Surely if it can grow so well for him under (I suspect) no special care, then it will suit our section as well. I used disprin for my rooting medium as a friend has recommended. I've bagged up three cuttings and put them in the window of the tool shed. This is a first for me on propogating anything from a cutting.

I tidied up the herb garden a bit, pulling out the parsley which had gone to seed and transplanting two self-sown parsley seedlings from out the front to the side herb garden which is much more convenient to the kitchen. I clipped away the dead part of the rosemary plant and admired the new growth from the part which didn't die.

I found slugs on the cavolo nero cabbage and fed them to the chooks. I admired my one head of broccoli and dug out a fast growing crop of clover in the corner of my thyme and onion bed. This is the bed which needs some more nutritional help. The clover end is the part which I didn't use the raised bed method for, hence more weed growth. I am going to transplant all the thyme elsewhere and use up the onions and then dig in blood and bone, seaweed and sheep based soil conditioner. Then it should be ready for growing more brassicas. I am having another go at brassicas, bouyed up by recent modest success.

No comments: