Thursday, December 11, 2008

compost

Today our friend who works as groundsperson at our local high school delivered a trailer load of grass clippings. She is bringing another tomorrow. Wonderful for the compost.

I then realised I still hadn't moved all of the seaweed from the wheelbarrow, where it has been steeped in water for at least a fortnight. It turns out that some kind of insect larvae is now wiggling round in it. It is all dumped on the garden for the moment, and I hope we haven't unleashed some crazy breeder onto our garden environment. Presumably (and hopefully), this water-based insect will not survive on land.

5 comments:

Marino said...

it's probably mosquitoes. we get them breeding in any buckets of water left around. they like stagnant water to breed in.

Sandra said...

Far too big for mosquitoes. Unless we've unleashed some new giants into the atmosphere!!

Marino said...

maybe maybe.. killa giant mosquitoes perhaps!
I was only joking about the rain thing by the way. wasn't really offended, i know the west coast of the south island is like the wettest place in NZ :D

Gill said...

Might be hoverfly larvae, I get them in my comfrey brew they're quite big white wriggly critters with what looks like thin tail attatched. The larvae look disgusting but the flys are the good guys.

Sandra said...

Ah Gill I think hoverflies do fit what we saw. Good news then, thanks. We had hoverflies in the garden last year and I've carried on trying to attract them in my choice of plants. I must sow some more 'beneficial insect blend' seeds soon.