Thursday, December 20, 2007

Two more sleeps

until the longest day. I look at our garlic every day and remind myself it is not long to wait.

I think we have Phacelia flowering. Very pretty. I'm after some borage next year cos it is even prettier and still attracts the goodies.

First yellow tomato today. Giving it another day to fully ripen. Zucchinis with no blossom end rot evident coming on now. Perhaps the longest day feast will include tomatoes and zucchinis from our garden as well?

I planted dwarf sunflowers at the back of the garden. Sometimes I do stupid things.

Too tired to write properly about Bokashi and about Grass Roots magazine. Putting it here though to remind me that I want to, soon.

5 comments:

Rach said...

Every garlic post reminds me that AGAIN I did not plant garlic at the right time. I keep thinking it would be a great thing to do (I don't think we cook anything without the stuff!), and never actually getting there.

Sandra said...

They have three different kinds at Koanga plus I'll save some from my Raglan source. Exciting garlic times next year for us both maybe?

Nik said...

My garlic was a dismal failure. I suspected a few weeks back it had all turned out bad when I discovered disgusting little (non crawling, just camping out) black bugs completely covering every single garlic stem from top to bottom. Gross, gross, gross. Know what they would have been? Anyway, today I fingered around the base, and felt not a thing - so pulled it up and there were just roots and nothing else, same as the other 5 too. Next year, I will try Koanga.

Anonymous said...

Do you ever plant spring garlic? This sometimes goes by baby garlic or a few other names.

Basically, if you plant the largest cloves from the largest bulbs for your main crop, you end up with a bunch of smaller cloves. If you then plant these in their own spot, you can dig them up in early or mid spring and eat them like spring onions.

The leaves of the garlic plant are also nice to eat sometimes, for example in a stirfry. You should chop them up finely first, because the texture is a little tough. Be sure to leave behind enough leaves on each plant so they can keep growing.

If you eat garlic these two ways, and also plant a few varieties that store well like silverskin types, you can have nice garlic to eat all year round.

Rach said...

OOOOOOH! Exciting!