Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Summer solstice

Only four more sleeps until the longest day. Plans so far include digging up the first garlic bulb and eating it, digging and eating our first potatoes of the season and watching the sun go down on our local beach.

As for Christmas, where to start and where to stop? I spent some time talking about my conflicting feelings and frustrations around Christmas last night with my second cousin Jill, a woman very committed to God (i.e. her Christian God). That helped. I'm on a journey to make some sense out of Christmas, to listen and hear a positive message. That might not be a God-led journey but I realised the other night that also it might be. I'm certainly planning that it won't be a journey which contributes to the exploitation of Chinese workers in plastic tat production factories.

I applaud what Oxfam, Tear Fund and World Vision have done in creating gifts which provide chickens, goats, toilets etc (and I did notice Bibles on at least one catalogue). I notice nothing from these mainstream charities aiming to improve the lives of exploited workers in China (to give an example, it certainly isn't the only country hosting horrendous workplace practices). Oooooh no, that would be too political. If anyone knows of a campaign for workers rights in China, then I'd be very pleased to know.

Bought comfrey and a tiny bay tree today.

3 comments:

Rach said...

Would it be too "justify-y" to suggest that Oxfam et al can only do so much and that perhaps they are focussing their efforts somewhere manageable? Maybe someone else will start Bondage-Breakers for the Chinese slaves....and someone else might accuse (no, that's too strong a term) them of not saving the starving Ethiopians. KWIM?

Also.....I'm really intrigued. How do you think your journey could/might be "God-led"???? I'd really like to get inside your head on this one!

Sandra said...

I'm not saying oxfam should do it all. I like what they do do. I do believe that political change is necessary for an improvement in humand rights in many countries and that oxfam and tear fund are thus right wing in their 'non-political' stance. I must have a look at the New Internationalist site and see what they have to support.

Can I come back to the God led journey? I would like to but need a bit more thinking time (and journeying) first.

Rach said...

Sorry Sandra.....I didn't actually mean you were saying that. Good thing you're so generous with not taking offense!
As for the journey......I'll keep watching.