Saturday, December 8, 2007

lacewing


I found one in my garden yesterday. Actually Fionn found it floating in a bucket of water and when I worked out what it was, I rescued it onto dry land pronto. So it's back out in the garden preying on aphids I hope.
I am starting to get some blue flowers in bloom from my beneficial insect blend seeds which is good for something which I now forget. They attract bees but I think there is some other good thing about blue flowers. Apart from their beauty of course.
I'm not keeping on top of the caterpillar problem currently plaguing my purple sprouting broccolli plants. Their leaves are looking rather too akin to the wings of the lacewing at the moment. I'm tempted to pull them out and start again.I've got plenty of time to grow some more before Autumn. Next time I will make sure I plant them only on the outside edge of the garden so it is very easy to kneel and check every part of every leaf for caterpillars and eggs.

2 comments:

Nik said...

I have lacewing brocolli too lol. I agree about having them on the borders, I didn't plan it that way, but I'm very thankful that's where they are. I'm actually considering flagging bothering to grow brocolli's with the small return, the space they take up and the caterpillar issue too. Maybe we'll be eating masses of spinach and silverbeet instead.

Sandra said...

Flagging brocolli altogether? Not such a bad idea. I think I'll pull mine out this afternoon and plant my kale and bok choi there instead. I've got lovely silverbeet and also have yet to try the 'tree spinach' gifted by a friend. It is also known as mountain spinach and as orach apparently.