Wednesday, January 21, 2009

momentuous times

I've got the radio on, listening intermittently to news of Barack Obama's inauguration. Big big deal.

I've got the entire house to myself for the whole day. Big big deal.

I am cleaning the study. It is a very small room, our study, described as a sunroom when we bought the house. In it we have my computer, FH's computer, my sewing machine, my craft stuff, all of FH's books, all of FH hobby/craft things, important papers, anything we don't the children to touch AND A TRULY PHENOMENAL AMOUNT OF RUBBISH. I can't clean it effectively with small people in the house as it does require removing the toddler gate. I have filled two black sacks already and I'm gunning to fill another. Perhaps by the end of the mission I will be able to find the tape measure. Today AND each subsequent time that I want to use it.

I'm only cleaning my side of it. We like being married, Favourite Handyman and I. That's why we don't tidy each other's mess if throwing out is part of the tidying process.


I did imagine writing or gardening all day but when the day dawned I decided to create some space where I could think and write and sew and knit for the rest of the year. Good luck to me. This is my lunch break. I'm not even hungry which is an odd sign all by itself.

Three quarters of the way up the hall is lined with boxes removed from my half of the study. Which need to be dealt with. There are more boxes to go into the hallway yet. I need to get a lot more ruthless yet. By the end of this there will be no excuse for not fixing the sewing machine. To give myself some kind of encouragement I am getting rid of lots of the clothes which need fixing. I don't want to spend all year playing Frugal Mother Seamstress.

3 comments:

Sharonnz said...

You'll feel great about your half a room of one's own by the end of the day. Creating those tiny bits of self space - physically and metaphorically - are important. Yeah - big, big deal...I've had the odd tear in my eye watching the coverage.

Christy said...

it must be the day for it, i've been doing my side of the communal desk and about to head out for a treat trip to the stationery shop for all those new folders, lovely pens etc that i now defintely need.

sweetp said...

Had to giggle at the bit about only cleaning up ones own mess. Everytime I get hit by theclean it up bug DH reminds me not to chuck out anything of his ! (As if I would...)