Saturday, November 15, 2008

in the garden

It's precious these days, time to plant seedlings. Brighid (21 months) simply pulls them out to inspect if she sees me planting. I remind myself daily that next summer she will understand and we won't have this difficulty. I remind myself through gritted teeth.

So Favourite Handyman, (wonderful Favourite Handyman) put her to bed this evening while I was planting. Two tomatoes, 12 marigolds, 6 alyssum, a large pot of beneficial insect blend (mostly phacelia and a bit of buckwheat by the looks of the seedlings so far). I see that we have lots of watercress sprouting through the old chook run and now a few pea shoots, presumably from the pea straw mulch. The chooks mustn't have fancied old dry peas. Why ever not?

Then I found a shallow pot and sowed more rocket seed. We've been eating rocket most days and the way that it is edible within 2-3 weeks of sowing is very satisfying. I don't bother putting it in the actual garden as the yield out of a smallish pot is very good and it is particularly convenient to have the pot just by the back door for ease of making sandwiches.

1 comment:

sweetp said...

i have a dirt eater (!) so all gardening here has to happen at nap time or when daddy is home. i also discovered a fair amount of the flowers in the rest of the garden are poisonous (joy) so i guess its safer that way