Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Big BIG wind

... Last night the chook run blew over completely. Landing on top of the rubbish bin which had blown top of the garden with garlic and tomatoes and strawberries and the one with radishes and tomato and thyme and spinach and shallots and the blueberries.

The lid of the coop blew open.

The chooks wandered round the section.

I went off to town and bought hundreds of dollars of food and four strong metal 1.8 metre spikes - warratahs the bloke said they are called. They are for the repair job.

I got home and found the chooks had spread my herb garden all over the footpath. About ten centimetres deep all over the footpath. Mercifully the wind had eased so they are now in the temporary enclosure.

There is quite a lot of thinking and planning to do before we start the repairs, which can't be started until the wind drops further (not to mention until it isn't a paid work day). But I am thinking that perhaps I could have the existing run spot as a vegetable garden now and put the chooks somewhere else . . . That would give me another 10sqm which was ready to plant. Now that would be exciting.

Despite an evening of gusty partial homelessness, our three chooks still laid an egg each this morning as soon as I put the roof back on the coop. How's that for adaptability?!

4 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Gosh - we've had it bad here too. My gardening fulla has had to fashion an ugly wind guard for our cucumber seedlings.

Gill said...

Oh man, so sorry. Sound like you are philosophical though. Windy here too. Expect a very desperate post if the shed roof blows off. Trying not to think about it.

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

I have to admit that I did worry what the post would be about when I first read the title.

Glad the chickens are ok though (and still laying!).

Johanna Knox said...

Sorry about your herb garden! We have had some herbs scratched up by chickens too (although not our chickens, and a much smaller patch of herbs I imagine too.) It *was* kind of upsetting.