Friday, January 2, 2009

sourdough and kefir

Yup, in the kitchen again. Favourite Handyman has been painting the window frames and sills in the kitchen. To celebrate this, I have performed no less than extreme sport cleaning. I have cleaned the oven, even although I am not pregnant and we are not about to move out. Well well well.

On a more pleasant, subdued and comforting note, I have been playing round with my sourdough starter. It isn't a 'proper' one because I started it off with commercial yeast instead of using just flour and water. But this is the second loaf and whereas the first (entirely with white flour) was rather fluffy and not as good as the non-sourdough no knead loaves I'd been making last month, this second one was mostly rye flour and tasted good and had quite a good texture.

Tonight I went to drain the kefir and add more milk. The smallest jars were all set but the larger ones were still quite milky. Maybe I did it this morning and didn't remember. On my shakey memory front, many things are possible. So I cut a piece of my sourdough rye bread and spread it with some thick, unstrained kefir and it was nice. And I felt extremely clever and virtuous. Something to hold on to. I added a bit more milk to those little jars so the kefir grains had more food and left the draining until the morning.

Buoyed by my sourdough success and the yummy kefir spread, I thought I'd play round with the drained kefir I already have in the fridge. I like drinking the runny thin stuff, closest to whey but as I make kefir with full fat unhomogenised milk, it ain't all runny. Since I've been using my plastic colander thing for draining, I've also got more thick bits in as well. Thick bits are good on bread and thin bits in drinks. Why not separate them?

Using the idea taught to me by my Indian flatmate and talented cook Roopali in the 1990s in Dunedin, I put the kefir in muslin and went to permanently suspend it above a bowl in the fridge for the night. No bowls worked because they were too shallow. But a very large ex-mustard seeds catering size plastic jar which the lovely Nell from the best late night venue in smallwettown gave me when I asked for her castoff empty food supplies containers has turned out to be perfect. I'll report on the taste test tomorrow.

Thank you to all the lovely people who wished me a happy New Year. I hope you all have a fabulous 2009 as well. Another year, another growing season. What's there not to like?

Has anyone grown globe artichokes? They sound like they might suit my soil and climate from the descriptions I've read recently.

3 comments:

Christy said...

hi sandra, your writings about kefir do make it sound intriguing, maybe i'll be brave enough to give it a go some time this year. i don't mind lack of photos by the way - i'd love to be able to write like you :)

i grew some globe artichokes from seed, planted about this time a year ago, with loads of compost in the soil, spaced a metre apart they did really well for me - i think i got about 20 heads off each plant, i think they can do 50 when they get going. but i have a completely different climate to you so not sure if that's helpful!

Maria Verivaki said...

happy new year from crete

i've been making brown bread for the past month. not terribly fluffy, but still very firm and tasty. i found a no-knead recipe on the internet in the nytimes - extremely easy to make, perfect for me as i hate spending time in the kitchen

Sandra said...

Ta Christy. Let me know when you are ready to experiment with kefir and I'll send you some. I think i will have a go at globe artichokes.

Hi Mediteranean Kiwi. Great to see you here - I adore your One Day in Hania blog. I've been making the same no knead recipe and now I'm doing pretty much the same thing except I'm using the sourdough starter instead of the commercial yeast.