Wednesday, January 7, 2009

gingerbeer and hydrangeas

I started a gingerbeer plant this morning. I cooked chickpeas and made hummous and reflected again that I like the hummous made with tinned chickpeas best. Which is not what I am supposed to think. I sliced up home made bread to toast and go under poached eggs for all of our breakfasts. I noticed that it is quite hard to slice and thought that perhaps I should go back to using a recipe instead of throwing any old amount of flour and a bit of salt at the sourdough starter and assuming it will be alright. I saw a recipe for using up old bread by making a cheese and onion souffle in a recipe book not long ago. Perhaps I'll try it tomorrow. Perhaps. I've never made anything as fancy sounding as a souffle before.

In the middle of gingerbeer and hydrangeas we all went out to lunch with friends in Blackball and talked about unionism and the lost generation who don't quite know what one is. And what to do about that.

This afternoon Brighid and I collected lots of hydrangea cuttings from paddocks near the airport. Yes we have an airport at smallwettown. No you can't really tell though because it is so small. We don't have any commercial services from it anymore. The planes got sold to someone in South America.

Tonight I dipped them all in a disprin solution, stripped the bottom leaves and planted fourteen along the back fence. It is sodden wet there and the sky is grey leavened with dark grey, so they should have a good start.

Also this morning I sliced up tomatoes (halved the cherry tomatoes and sliced the larger ones) and put them in my dehydrator. I am going to make my very own sun dried tomatoes. This is the third time ever I have used my dehydrator which I have owned since at least 1997.

Also tonight I weeded around the blueberry plants. I peeked under the potatoes and saw a very small potato. So those spuds can stay in the ground until the end of the month at least.

And just to jump around more, this afternoon on the way home we went to the wood and landscape materials place and ordered lots (but not enough) of firewood and discussed options for making paths around the old chook run.

2 comments:

Sharonnz said...

Isn't it galling to even have to think about firewood at this time of year.

Sandra said...

'Tis Sharon. Buying, drying, stacking. Summer is all about winter sometimes.