Sunday, August 10, 2008

The yeast free journey

About six weeks ago I received some advice regarding my son's eczema and the distinct possibility (well the doctor was more sure than that but I am over 'certainties' on the eczema front) that yeast was/is related to the problem. I know I benefit from eating all foods without yeast although my favourite foods (red wine with crusty white bread covered in blue cheese...) are a 'little' on the yeasty side.

Other stuff was in the way for ages and now we are working on a yeast free, or at least significantly lowered yeast foods (I hate the word diet and all it's connotations!). Today flagged up that thorough change is going to take a while. We replaced bread for lunch (with pasta leftovers) with cinnamon pinwheel scones. They were yummy but also full of refined white flour and loads of sugar. And we ended up topping the leftover pasta with pumpkin (tick) and feta cheese (no tick).

I am going to play round with unleavened breads (are they terrible on the Sally Fallon scale out of curiosity? Must find out. Probably. That woman is interesting and also seems just plain contrary at times) and we'll be opting for more sushi again. Better go order some organic avocadoes. mmmm they are the silver lining to every food project I embark upon.

1 comment:

Johanna Knox said...

Hi Sandra - re Sally Fallon - I don't know enough to answer your question fully ...But does essene bread count as unleavened bread? There's a recipe for that in Nourishing Traditions ... I think if you used grain that was soaked or sprouted for any of your unleavened bread, Sally Fallon would probably approve ... :O)
(She'd also give your feta cheese a tick! ) lol.