Wednesday, November 7, 2007

slugs


Tonight I have laid beer traps for the slugs. Beer is rather precious in our home though and I'll be wanting to see a high return of dead slugs for each trap. Otherwise it's pellet time and I'll sit inside and drink the beer instead.
The picture on the side is (obviously) a bottle but actually I bought mine in a rigger. Easily reusable, cheaper and a reminder that here in small town we still do things the old way. I never saw a jug of beer or a rigger sales point the whole time I lived in Auckland. Serves me right for living in Ponsonby I guess. Ah the wealthy old days...
Some locals here still bring their glass flagons in to Liquorland for refilling.
I transplanted another tomato today and learnt that reusing large tins from the kitcehn for plants does not work if you want to then transplant again. Half the roots stayed in the tin. Good thing I was too slack to get round to transplanting all the tomatoes out of their tiny pots and into tins.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Caught slugs though I haven't counted - not many by the first look. Will have to be part of my multipronged approach.

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I tried this many years ago, and found cheaper beer worked better... Some people have luck with this, and others not.

Have your tried walking around at night with a torch and attacking individual slugs with a salt shaker? Just be sure not to add any more salt to your garden than necessary. This is what I do sometimes.