Thursday, March 5, 2009

Treasures and trials

Treasure one:
I think it is a kind of treasure. We have fruits on our Rua potatoes. I found this out as they flop on to the path and I stood on them when I was harvesting a zucchini. This is not especially common - the swellings on the roots of potatoes are not the fruit at all. They aren't even a proper tuber but I forget what they are called. Aprt from potatoes that is. Whether I will do anything fancy like collect the seed, remains to be seen. But I have that opportunity now.

Treasure two:
A full boot of poo-enriched chook house clearings from the wonderful Raelene. This will go on to an area near my blackcurrants which currently has grass and weeds but is fiddly for the lawnmower to get to. I'm going to pile up the poos and sawdust and let it kill off the vegetation underneath and nourish the soil for growing something much more wonderful than grass on.

Trial one:
I left the bags of chook poo/sawdust in the car overnight. One of those terribly useless things that happen. I couldn't safely and easily drag it through to the back without another adult around to watch Brighid. I know she does murder my plants, but I still love her enough that I don't want her killed by our drive-too-fast nieghbours. Then we all forgot later on.

The car stinks. a lot. the bags were all hot from the nitrogen when I hauled them out this morning. the car needs cleaning from top to bottom and inside every everything. note the word clean.

Trial two:
cleaning. Why is it that every time I get the kitchen approximating to civilised, I turn round and start baking bread, muffins and cooking more meals in it? I do understand at some rational level (i.e. rather hypothetical and distant from what is uppermost in my mind) that good food involves work. I just feel grizzly about it.

1 comment:

Nova said...

ewww sucky about the car!

but lol didn't you know that people who have those perfect designer home&garden kitchens most likely eat out the majority of the time?!? ;)