Sunday, February 1, 2009

I will stick to using up my wool scraps...

Last I wrote that I was part way through the gorgeous homespun and home dyed wool from Granity and that after that I would move on to other balls in my stash. A stash which I had thought was too small to be called a stash before I cleaned the study and faced the sum total of all the balls previously in bags all over the place. Today I used up the homespun wool and thought how very beautiful the dress would look if I picked out the green in the variegated wool at our local wool shop and did the rest of the dress in soft green.

Two things.

The wool shop is not open on a Sunday, it is Sunday today and I want to carry on with the dress.

We were at friends for lunch today and one of our friends talked about how people on secure jobs (very luckily, this includes us) are in an improved position and should spend up a bit. This really jarred with me, as it did the first time someone I heard the idea (from someone else again). It doesn't feel right. Is it because I feel there is too much wasteful consumption clogging up our planet? Is it because I feel sick, as I do, at the idea that I am benefitting from the misfortune of others as our mortgage interest rate drops and shop prices fall while others no longer have a job?

So I am continuing on the dress using up my odd balls of wool. I am knitting in black now.

3 comments:

Marino said...

Hey sandra,
I've also decided to try and use up all the bits and bobs of wool scraps I've got lying around.
I've started knitting little squares, which I hope to eventually sew together to make a blanket. I don't really know what I'm doing and don't have a pattern, I'm hopeless and following patterns anyway, but I hope it just all kinda falls together.

I have a rough guide sketched out in my head that I'm meaning to put onto paper but haven't gotten around to that yet.

-M

Sharonnz said...

Yeah, "spend your way out of recession" isn't advice that sits comfortably with me either.

Nova said...

me neither :? but if ever there was a time to bump the 'buy nz made' campaign it would be now!