Wednesday, December 24, 2008

other people's gardens and weird scones

The NZ Gardener website has recently posted a lovely collection of kiwi vege gardens. I enjoyed looking at them.

An update on my weird scone experiments. The buttermilk biscuits recipe from Sally Fallon was very salty, difficult to mix through because of the way she had the buttermilk (I used kefir) being absorbed by the flour long before the butter, baking soda and salt was added. I don't recommend it. I have also come to the conclusion that scones are supposed to be fast food. I am prepared to take ages to make bread, but not scones. So below I am copying (method slightly adapted to my shortcuts) the Edmonds Cookbook recipe for wholemeal yoghurt scones, which I will be using again. This is the one I used yesterday except I substituted kefir for the yoghurt, I also spilt the sugar, so ours were sweeter than strict adherence to the recipe would produce.

2 C wholemeal flour
1 t baking soda
3 t baking powder
50g butter
1 t sugar
1/2 C natural unsweetened yoghurt

Mix flour, soda and baking powder in a bowl. Cut butter into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar and yoghurt. Mix to a soft dough. Lightly dust an oven tray with flour. Gently press scone mixture into a rectangle (directly on to the oven tray works fine and saves the need for messing up the bench or board further) which will divide into 8-12 scones. Cut them up and move away from each other to give space. Bake at 220 degrees celsius or until pale golden.

No comments: