Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Blanket blind

So I've done a bit more thinking about this blinds business for draught-proofing the front door and sought some advice from more experienced friends.

No more Roman blind idea. I'm going to use one of the lovely 100% wool, New Zealand made (some are at least 45 years old and were given to my mother by her grandparents when she went to boarding school) blankets which we have the good fortune to own. I'm going to sew tabs on the top so it can slide on to a piece of dowling and hang over the door. During the day, I'll take the whole thing down and store it. During summer, it won't be necessary to use it.

It will most likely start it's life out very plain. But I'm mindful of an idea from this pub, where they have some beautiful new patchwork covers on the bar stools and a gorgeous kind of quilted blind/curtain on one of the windows. I'd ultimately fancy edging the blanket in sumptuous red and perhaps adding applique in the middle. When in my life I am going to acquire an enthusiasm and skill for making applique, I have no idea, but I love the idea of transforming a found object from our over-cluttered home into an object of functionality and beauty and history.

No comments: