Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Using up the cupboard day three

Too cold for sushi.

Made banana muffins which used up the overripe bananas. Used an icecream tub of vegetable and pork bones broth which I made and froze a month or so ago for dinner. I'm also clearing the small freezer as of yesterday (the bottom of a fridge/freezer unit), because I've heard that Rayleen has more roosters for us.

Then the using the ingredients from the dry goods list project: Buckwheat and sunflower bread. The outside was like a brick, but the inner part was reasonable. I didn't notice anyone go back for seconds of the bread, only the soup. So I used some: buckwheat flour, molasses (pungent stuff that!), yeast which I've discovered is only two weeks from it's use by date and sunflower seeds. Didn't manage to empty any packet, but progress nevertheless.

I do feel a bit like I've woken up in a health camp. Not that it is massively different from our usual eating patterns, but the bread did scream health-freak-gone-far, especially the brick hard outer.

Better get moving. Once again I lost my night computer time. Day three of the holidays was more fun though. I need to get my sewing machine sorted because this week is Real Nappy Week and I've opted to learn to sew my own nappies. Brighid has enough nappies but I thought this would be good for my sewing skills and I wanted to support Fi, the fabulous nappy junkie who works very hard here in wetville to promote cloth nappy usage.

No comments: