Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Dinner

Tonight: the long version ....
It was a beautiful sunny morning when red riding hood picked up her basket and went to gather some food.
oops it was sunny and I had no gorgeous trug but a bowl to collect food from the garden in. I also realised I was in a long purple dress and not pale blue which made me feel much better - more bohemian and less mumsy. Borlotti beans (not enough to store for winter - my total harvest was 74 beans), a leek, celery, garlic, zucchinis, tomatoes, thyme, rosemary all from the garden. Washed chopped and in the slow cooker with bacon ends from the local butcher (free range pig tick tick), kumara, carrot and home made tomato sauce. Slow cooker on and off to work.

Then I cooked more red rice as I like it so much and felt very clever as it was all yummy.

Then I went out to book group at a nasty new restaurant chain and ordered a wine which was totally worth it and my special treat in this frugal month. I also, against my planning and better judgement, ordered a lemon meringue pie and it was bland and expensive and I'm just frustrated to have spent $10.50 on a mediocre dessert when I have otherwise been really really good at not wasting money of late. The evening of chatting was nice though.

There are leftovers from tonight's bacon dish so I have 12+ hours to think of a way of serving that up again tomorrow night without it looking exactly the same as tonight.

No comments: